Janggukbap is a dish made of cooked white rice in long-simmered beef broth, seasoned with soy sauce. In olden days, when a big event or festival took place in the royal court, janggukbap was served to the mobilized soldiers, musicians, dancers and singers because this dish is convenient for serving to the many people.
- 300g (1⅔ cups) non-glutinous rice, 400g (2 cups) water
broth : 200g beef (brisket·shank), 200g (1/5 ea) radish, 2.4㎏ (12 cups) water
seasoning sauce ① : 6g (1 tsp) clear soy sauce, 9g (2 tsp) minced green onion, 5.5g (1 tsp) minced garlic, 0.3g (⅛ tsp) ground black pepper
80g soaked bracken
80g skinned bellflower roots , 4g (1 tsp) salt
150g bean sprouts , 100g (½ cup) water, 1g (¼ tsp) salt
seasoning sauce ② : 9g (½ tbsp) clear soy sauce, 7g (½ tbsp) minced green onion, 5.5g (1 tsp) minced garlic, 2g (1 tsp) sesame salt, 4g (1 tsp) sesame oil
13g (1 tbsp) edible oil
6g (1 tsp) clear soy sauce
6g (1½ tsp) salt
600g (4 bowls) warm steamed rice
- 1. Put water and the rice in the pot, heat it up for 3 min. on high heat. When it boils, continue to boil it for another 4 min. lower the heat to medium, boil for 3 min. When the rice become sodden, lower the heat to low, steam it for 10 min.
- 2. Cut the boiled beef and radish into 2.5cm-wide, 3cm-long and 0.5cm-thick. Season with seasoning sauce①.
- 3. Season bracken and bellflower with ⅔ of seasoning sauce ②. Preheat the frying pan and oil, stir-fry the bracken and bellflower for 2 min. respectively on medium heat.
- 4. Put the bean sprouts, water and salt into the pot, heat it up for 1 min. on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, boil them for 3 min. and season with remained ⅓ of seasoning sauce ② (110g).
- 5. Pour the broth into the pot, heat it up for 5 min. on high heat. When it boils, add the seasoned beef, radish, bracken, bellflower roots and bean sprouts, boil them for 2 min. When it boils again, lower the heat to medium, boil for another 10 min.
- 6. Season with clear soy sauce and salt, bring it to a boil.
- 7. Place warm steamed rice in a bowl and add the beef soup.
|Heating Time||Proces||Heat Control|
|Preparation||Soaking non-glutinous rice, Preparing beef and vegetables,
Blending seasoning sauce
|H-heat 7 min. M-heat 3 min. L-heat 10 min.|
|0 min||Cooking rice||H-heat 10 min. M-heat 60 min.|
|20 min||Boiling beef and radish|
|90 min||Filtering broth, Seasoning beef and radish after cutting
Stir-frying bracken and bellflower roots after seasoning
Boiling bean sprouts and seasoning
|M-heat 4 min.
H-heat1 min. M-heat 3 min.
H-heat 7 min. M-heat 10 min.
|100 min||Boiling broth||M-heat 2 min.|
|110 min||Seasoning with salt|