The Publication Industry Promotion Agency of Korea (KPIPA) hosts the 2021 K-Book Translation Contest: Reading Korea, Bridging Cultures in a novel attempt to provide a space of cultural exchange through publication and increase the international attention to and base of Korean culture and publication. The contest open to the general public (Professional translators are not eligible). Therefore, much attention and participation of resident foreigners in South Korea who are interested in Korean culture will be appreciated.
ㅇ (Qualification) Resident foreigners and students from abroad in Korea
– Resident foreigners and students from abroad in South Korea (non-resident foreigners are unqualified for the contest).
– Resident foreigners who have never received any official translation support nor published any translated work in the appliable language.
ㅇ (Timeline for Application) From July 19(Mon.) to 24:00 Oct. 15(Fri),
2021 (Korea Standard Time), for three months.
ㅇ (How to Apply) Via website (www.k-booktranscon.kr)
ㅇ (Required Documents) To be filled out and submitted on the website’s contest application page.
ㅇ (Result Announcement) Scheduled on Nov. 30 (Tue), 2021 (to be notified individually and announced on the contest website)
ㅇ (Awards) Total KRW 54 million (Grand Prize: KRW 3 million, Excellence Prize: KRW 2 million, Merit Prize KRW 1 million)
ㅇ (Awards Ceremony) Scheduled in Dec. 2021 (to be informed individually later)
□ Other Information
ㅇ The copyright of the submitted work belongs to the applicant, the author, and KPIPA can consult with contest winners to produce secondary writings with the award-winning works for the purpose of public benefits including promotions, exhibitions as well as publication production and distribution.
ㅇ Award-winning works for each language will go public on the contest website and can be used in various ways as KPIPA’s publicity materials.
ㅇ In principle, submitted works shall not be returned and collectively discarded after the contest is over.
ㅇ Exclusion criteria: submitted works shall be excluded from the contest in case any of the following applies.
▪If submitted information and documents are not valid.
▪If the applicant has ever officially been supported by being selected for any translation contest hosted by other institutions or local governments (e.g. Rookie Translator Award of the Literature Translation Institute of Korea).
▪If the applicant has ever published a translated work in the applicable language.
ㅇ Award cancellation: An award winner may have his/her award cancelled if any of the following applies. In this case, the winner may be subject to disciplinary actions including return of the paid prize money and be fully responsible for any issue arising therefrom.
▪ If any of the above exclusion criteria applies.
▪ If any clear reason for disqualification including copyright infringement (plagiarism and copying) is confirmed even after the award winners are announced.
▪ If any statement included in the submitted documents is different from the truth, falsely entered or omitted.
ㅇ The above announcement is subject to change due to circumstances.
– Website: www.k-booktranscon.kr
– Instagram: instagram.com/kbook_transcon
– E-mail: email@example.com